In this section...

Life After Harry Watts Academy

We know that many of our parents may be concerned about what will happen to them when they leave Harry Watts Academy at the end of year 11. The thought of moving on maybe daunting for students and their families. Hopefully the information in this pack will support you to begin planning this transition.

Here is some information about potential pathways that students from Harry Watts Academy could follow.


From year 9 – we will start thinking about the future and possible courses during EHCP reviews and introduce you to an advisor from the local authority.

During Year 10 and 11 we will have more discussions in EHCP reviews but also start visiting different colleges and providers.

In Year 11:

  • September onwards – students/parents can make applications to further education colleges.
  • Between October and December of that year the EHCP Review (transitional review in the academic year of transfer) should be held.
  • Draft Amended EHCP’s should be amended and considered by TfC and issued to young people/families no later than end of February of the year of transfer.
  • Families should be contacted by the allocated SEND Caseworker to discuss their parental preference for school prior to consideration by TfC.
  • Final Amended EHCP stating placement of choice should be issued by no later than 31st March of the year of transfer.
  • October onwards Colleges (both FE and Specialist) after applications are received by the Colleges they look at EHC plans to see whether they will make an offer.
  • If families are considering specialist colleges (e.g.ESPA) or it has been identified as a potential option as local colleges have assessed that they cannot meet need, the local authority will start discussing the application process with families.
  • October to March – Local Authority post 16 funding panel looks at whether college offers can support young people.
  • Summer term – Once placements have been confirmed transition visits can start to take place
Suggested Pathways Types of Placement Providers

Pathway 1

Engage pathway

Social Care = Community involvement activities

Further Education = SEND specialist colleges

Pathway 2

Explore pathway

Social Care = Community involvement activities

Further Education = SEND specialist colleges or courses

Pathway 3

Discover pathway

Further Education = SEND Specialist colleges or courses


Young people and families should be aware that most courses outside of a School are not 5 days per week, many are 3 to 4 days. The Local Authority usually funds courses on this basis though do take individual circumstances into consideration.

Young people and families will be supported to consider other options available which may be volunteering, work placements, community activities or support from social care (where there has been a need assessed).

Please note this is information on suggested provisions but there may be other providers available, please see the Local Offer for more information:

Local Offer

Further Education Colleges

Sunderland College

Northumberland College

Houghall College

Newcastle College

Gateshead College

Tyne Met College

South Tyneside College

Specialist Colleges

Noth East Autism Society

Percy Hedley College



Other Providers:

Catcote Academy

Natural AbilitiyAbout ASK - Amazing Apprenticeships

Community activities and clubs

There are also many clubs and social groups in the North East for SEND young people for all ages and abilities. Whether your child is interested in drama, music or sport take a look at the website: The Sunderland SEND local offer –

*If possible it may support your child’s transition if they begin to access community activities before leaving Harry Watts so they have something familiar to attend in the future.

Here are links or contacts for activities:

Washington Arts Centre